Urinary incontinence is a common problem that is often under-reported due to the embarrassing nature and social stigma attached. It can have a considerable effect on an individual’s quality of life. Incontinence is involuntary loss of urine, in which an individual will not have control over his/her bladder. At Ayursh, we offer physiotherapist home service that offers effective and long term relief from such issues.
Factors that might cause Urinary Incontinence
Though it occurs more often as people get older, urinary incontinence isn’t an inevitable consequence of ageing. If urinary incontinence affects your daily activities, don’t hesitate to see your doctor. For most people, simple lifestyle and dietary changes or medical care can treat symptoms of urinary incontinence.
Proper diagnosis is therefore necessary for urinary incontinence
There are different types of incontinence
1) Stress incontinence – is the incontinence triggered by movements such as coughing, sneezing, laughing, jumping, weight lifting or exercise (any movement increasing intra abdominal pressure).
This is caused because of sphincter dysfunction due to pelvic floor weakness.
2) Urge incontinence (overactive bladder) – involuntary leakage of urine accompanied by or immediately preceded by urgency.
This is caused due to involuntary or uninhibited detrusor contractions and due to detrusor muscle instability.
3) Overflow incontinence – unexpected leakage of small amounts of urine because of an overfilled bladder.
This is caused because of an contractile detrusor usually seen in diabetic neuropathy.
4) Mixed incontinence – involuntary leakage associated with urgency and also with exertion, effort, sneezing or coughing
Caused because of combination of urethral and bladder dysfunction
WHEN TO SEE DOCTOR?
You may feel uncomfortable discussing incontinence with your doctor. But if incontinence is frequent or is affecting your quality of life, it’s important to seek medical advice because urinary incontinence may:
● Cause you to restrict your activities and limit your social interactions
● Negatively impact your quality of life
● Increase the risk of falls in older adults as they rush to the toilet
● Indicate a more serious underlying condition
HOW DOES AYURSH HELP IN INCONTINENCE?
There are numerous causes for incontinence, it could be post pregnancy, road traffic accidents affecting your pelvic bone, neurological disorders like stroke, multiple sclerosis, parkinsons or spinal cord injuries affecting nerve root involving bladder control, prostate cancer, ageing or being overweight. Depending on the primary cause of incontinence AYURSH PHYSIOTHERAPY helps in strengthening your pelvic floor muscles and passively stimulating the nerve roots with electric modalities. Book an appointment with our physiotherapist at home and get complete relief.